7 Hot Craft Trends for 2016
Discover these gorgeous trends this year. Search for them on Pinterest. Watch out for them at our craft events. You’ll love them!
1. Woven wall hangings: identified on Pinterest as one of the top 10 trends in home decorating. Check out the work of Rainie Williams at our upcoming Stitches & Craft Shows. You’ll be warping up in no time.
2. Dreamcatchers: if you’re channelling a 70s vibe, or adding some hippy chic to your home, you’ll want a dreamcatcher … a perfect bedroom accessory for all ages and such a fun project. See our project instructions here.
3. Watercolour with coloured metallic foils: not only are we seeing watercolour on cards and papercraft but also on icing for cakes but the trend to watch is the combination of this magical medium with coloured foils. Pictured is papercraft by Christine Adolphe, spotted at the CHA Megashow (Craft & Hobby Industry Association trade show) in Los Angeles, USA.
4. Crochet mandalas and more: I love these crochet circles. Hook up a heap and make mobiles, wall art potholders or rugs. This book, Mandalas to Crochet by Haafner Linssen is available from Can Do Books.
5. Chalk Paint: soft colours and texture of chalk paint can transform everyday objects into something special. Also watch for the revival of painting techniques like crackled and distressed finishes.
6. Planners: Just when you thought your diary was obsolete in favour of your phone, the planner is back. These are pretty as a picture, filled with stickers, doodles, tags, clips and quotes … more like a keepsake album than an organiser. Spotted at the CHA Mega Show.
7. Embroidery as art on printed fabric: A digital image or a printed fabric is a great base to start stitching an artwork. I spotted this piece in an exhibition in Bangkok’s Chomp Café. It’s by Tina Hongnam, student at Sulpakorn University and is part of an exhibition highlighting the issue of domestic violence.
By Judy Newman