Celebrating Christmas in July
Australians and New Zealanders often bemoan the fact that to make the most of a traditional Christmas we would need to have some winter weather.
A winter Christmas celebration would allow us to have to big log fire, a roast dinner, eggnog and pudding and perhaps even a snowfall in some places, without the sweltering heatwave that often accompanies a southern hemisphere Christmas in December. It’s no wonder that Christmas in July or Yulefest, as it is called in some places, has become a popular fixture here.
The chill of winter is also the perfect weather for hunkering down into your favourite nook at home and getting started on that cherished craft activity … maybe even learning a new one.
In fact it’s a perfect time to start thinking about creating sweet little handmade Christmas gifts, cards and even tree decorations! You’ll be prepared well in advance of the real thing in December when leisure time is often in short supply.
At our craft events in June and July we’ve been enjoying Christmas demonstrations by expert presenters. In Melbourne at the fair from July 25 to 28, 2013, you can see a huge program of demos:
- Folded Paper Origami Christmas Balls by Jeannie Handsaker of Creative Cottage Crafts
- Christmas Baubles by Rhonda Hunt of Powertex
- Christmas Inspiration, Lorinda de Regt-Penn and Rose Packer, Stampin’ Up!
- Gingerbread Man Tree Decoration, Irene Harris, Renee’s Cottage Crafts
- Make Cute Angels from Safety Pins, Kerry Dove, Bead Shack
- Decoration Techniques for Scrap, Cards, Tags and More, Roxanne Fisher, Azza European Scrapbooking
- Make Christmas Really Sparkle! Mahe Salah, Zenozam
- Gorgeous Christmas Cards, Dina Boyling, Catchy Crafts
- Decorative Christmas Bows and Candle Holders made on the Baby Butterfly Loom, Judy Martin Brentwood Bears and Craft
- The Glory of Christmas, Ann White, Milu Pattinson, Pauline Fodera or Heather Morrell, Decoupage Guild Australia
- Sashiko Christmas Stars, Jane MacDonald, BeBe Bold Japanese Textiles
- Star and Log Cabin Table Runner, Brenda Burgess, Flip La K
Where: Craft & Quilt Fair, July 25-28, 2013, Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre, South Wharf, open 9am to 5pm daily.
There are certainly going to be a lot of pretty decorations this Christmas in both July and December!