by Judy Newman
Eggstra Special Bright-Side Up!
THESE COLOURFUL EGGS ARE GUILT-FREE. THEY’RE HARD BOILED AND WILL MAKE A FESTIVE SPLASH TO YOUR EASTER TABLE. YOU CAN ALSO DECORATE WITH STICKERS OR RUBBER BANDS AFTER COOKING AND BEFORE DYEING THEM IN ORDER TO CREATE RESIST PATTERNS. A FUN THING TO DO WITH THE KIDS – AND AN OPPORTUNITY TO TEACH THEM HOW TO BOIL AN EGG!
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
- ¼ cup of water
- ½ to 1 teaspoon food colouring depending on how strong you want the colour
- Hard boiled eggs
- Baking tray with a rack or crumpled baking paper to rest the wet eggs while drying
- Combine the liquid ingredients in a small glass bowl.
- Using tongs, place one egg at a time into the dye, roll it around until it is covered with colour and you are satisfied with the intensity of the colour.
- Remove the egg with tongs and place it on the rack or paper to dry.
- Repeat for all your eggs, adjusting the colour with extra water or mixing colours to get different shades (for example mix pink and blue to get shades of purple).
- These eggs must be refrigerated until you are ready to use.
- You could also do this with blown egg shells if you want to display them. Just pop a sticker over the hole at each end.