Make your own Pretty Hairclips
This project struck a chord with Mindy, one of our writers who recalled, “I used to take great pleasure in shopping for and dressing my little girl, not necessarily in all things pink, but the possibilities were endless with dresses, tops, skirts, shoes, hair adornments and more. And, as many parents will attest, when their hair starts growing it heads straight for the eyes! I can’t begin to put a figure on how many hair clips we went through over a five year period!”
So we felt compelled to share these little hair clip ideas which are just so easy and irresistible. You may want to prepare a few to match outfits, put others away as spares and keep some as gifts.
Thanks to Ali Whittle and Craft Queen for sharing this project with us.
You will need:
- 1cm grosgrain Craft Queen ribbon (R28026)
- 3 flowers with pearl centre – Craft Queen flower (E9484)
- Clover bow maker – available at Craft Queen
- Glue gun
- Needle and thread
A) Simple clips
1. Cut a piece of ribbon approximately 18cm long. Using a hot glue gun, glue ribbon around the clip, starting with the inside. Decorate with a flower if desired.
A wide range of patterned 1cm wide grosgrain ribbons are available at Craft Queen. These make quick and easy hair clips.
B) Flower clips
- Cover the clip as above. Then make a large bow using approx 40 cm of ribbon. Secure by sewing together.
- Make a smaller bow using approx 28cm of ribbon. Secure by sewing together.
- Hot glue the bows together and flower in centre. Then secure it to the clip using the glue gun.
You can replace this flower with crochet flowers and buttons, which also look great when used in the centre of these bows.